Vegan Green Goddess Aioli
This aioli is great for dipping fresh spring veggies, in sandwiches, or even dolloped atop a piece of grilled fish. A mild, green oil doesn’t overpower the softness of the herbs while complimenting the overall “greenness”. After making aioli this way with an immersion blender, you may never go back to the original.
Recipe developed by Chef Kevin O’Connor for the California Olive Oil Council.
- 1 cup EVOO
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chickpea water reserved from the can or from cooking
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- One cup of chopped fresh, sweet herbs (parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, mint all work)
- In a cylindrical container, combine the EVOO, lemon juice, chickpea water, dijon and salt.
- Insert an immersion blender and blend on high until emulsified.
- Add the chopped herbs and capers and continue to pulse with the immersion blender until the aioli takes on the color green from herbs.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least thirty minutes to allow the flavors to marry before using.