The California Olive Oil Council (COOC) is a trade association with the mission of encouraging the consumption of certified California extra virgin olive oil through education, outreach and communications.
The COOC is committed to upholding the highest standards within the olive oil industry through its Seal Certification Program.
Code of Ethics
Central to that purpose is the establishment and maintenance of a reputation both for producing the highest quality oil and for practicing faultless truth in labeling. The members recognize that any labeling or marketing practice that is misleading to the consumer or unfair to competitors may jeopardize that reputation. Therefore, as a condition of membership in the COOC, I agree as follows:
- I, as well as any entity with which I am affiliated will make every effort to avoid misleading consumers with respect to olive oil. I will not use strident or inflammatory language on my website, in my communications or marketing materials.
- Any oil with the designation of extra virgin olive oil from California that is produced, bottled, marketed or labeled by me, or at the direction of any entity with which I am affiliated, will be certified as extra virgin by the COOC, and all marketing activities and materials will be consistent with the terms and conditions of that certification.
- Any oil labeled as extra virgin olive oil from areas other than California that is produced, bottled or labeled by me, or at my direction or at the direction of any entity with which I am affiliated will conform to the relevant labeling standards in effect as of July 1, 2020 and all relevant updates throughout the course of the membership year; all marketing activities and materials will be consistent with those standards.
- All extra virgin olive oil produced, bottled, marketed or labeled will comply with COOC as well as state and federal requirements.
- Use of the COOC Seal of Certification is contingent on compliance with stipulations as outlined in Exhibit A of the Standards and the annual certification documentation.
- If any action (legal or otherwise) or proceeding arises out of or relating to this Agreement, the COOC shall be entitled to receive, in addition to any other relief that may be granted, the reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incurred in the action or proceeding.
I have read and understood the COOC’s California Extra Virgin Olive Oil Standards and Label & Promotional Material Disclosure Requirements (Exhibit B of the Standards). I and all those associated with this membership pledge to comply with both the letter and the spirit of this Statement of Mission & Code of Ethics and agree that failure to do so constitutes cause for review of membership status and may lead to membership termination.