- ¾ cup California COOC-certified extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for the pan
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk (can use regular milk as well)
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- 1 ½ grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange extract
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Powder sugar for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly oil an Bundt cake pan and lightly dust with flour. Shake off all the excess flour in the pan.
- In a large electric mixing bowl, fitted with a paddle, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir until just mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the apple sauce, and the extra virgin olive oil till combined. Add the ¾ cup granulated sugar and whisk well. Whisk in the milk, brandy, orange zest, and orange extract till all combined.
- Turn on mixer and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Once all added, turn up the speed to fully mix all the ingredients. Fold in the walnuts. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for an hour, or until the top gets crusty and dark brown. Test by sticking a toothpick or a knife that comes out clean. Slice and serve with a dusting of powder sugar and/or cinnamon.
Recipe shared with permission from WeOlive.