The COOC is a trade association with the mission of encouraging the consumption of certified California extra virgin olive oil through education, outreach and communications.
The COOC is committed to upholding the highest standards within the olive oil industry through its Seal Certification Program.
COOC Quick Facts
- The COOC has over 400 members including growers and producers, service providers, retailers and other supporters of the California olive oil industry.
- Growers and producers make up the greatest number of members.
- The COOC represents over 90% of all olive oil production in California.
- The COOC Taste Panel, founded in 1998, has certified over 300 oils for 2015.
- As of January 2015, there are over 35,000 acres planted in California for the production of extra virgin olive oil.
- It is estimated that 3,500 new acres will be planted each year in California through 2020.
- There are over 400 growers/producers of olive oil in California
- Over 75 olive varieties are grown in California for olive oil production, resulting in proprietary blends unique to California.
- The 2014-15 harvest produced approximately 2.4 million gallons of extra virgin olive oil. The 2013-14 harvest produced 3.5 million gallons. This decline is mainly due to inclement weather and production levels are expected to exceed previous levels in this next harvest year.
- There are 40 mills in California with more under construction and/or expansion.
- The COOC Taste Panel, founded in 1998, was the first North American sensory panel established for olive oil.
California Olive Oil Council
801 Camelia Street, Suite D
Berkeley, California 94710